EDWARD WIMS, ALISON MAHONEY, GAVIN ANDREWS
Patients with panic disorder or generalised anxiety disorder require an accurate diagnosis and thorough education regarding the nature of the condition. A stepwise approach to the management and treatment of these disorders is recommended.
- Panic disorder and generalised anxiety disorder are common and debilitating conditions.
- Patients with anxiety disorders require an accurate diagnosis and thorough education regarding the nature of their disorder.
- A stepwise approach to the management and treatment of panic disorder and generalised anxiety disorder is ideal.
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), including group CBT, individual CBT or clinician-assisted computerised CBT, is the treatment of choice for patients with these anxiety disorders.
- Pharmacotherapy in the form of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors or tricyclic antidepressants can also have a useful role in these patients.
- Both panic disorder and generalised anxiety disorder are treatable, and with appropriate care affected patients can return to baseline functioning.